Sunday, January 17, 2010

Books and Better Living!

I ordered four books a couple days ago from a few different Amazon.com vendors. I received two already, and I'm so excited to start reading them! One is The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. I have heard so many great things about this book, especially in regards to the horrid factoring farming conditions in this country. My other book is Food Rules by Michael Pollan. Its a simple guide, but very useful. I have already flipped through a lot of it. Most eating tips are common sense, but are quite often overlooked, so it will be useful to have around as a reminder!


Part of my set of resolutions for the new year is to commit more to my going green. I have made a lot of strides in the last year, and have done a lot of research, but there is so much more I could be doing. One really important thing I could be doing is eating healthier! I intend to start my own garden once the weather warms, and I am working towards buying local and organic from a co-op not too far away. These ideas, along with Food Rules, should help my family a lot. I have also been looking up a lot of recipes online as well as making healthier versions of my passed-down family recipes. One recipe I found online is a healthier version/knockoff of McDonalds Chicken Nuggets, as well as some homemade fries. Still not the healthiest choice, but much better than actually eating out! Besides, I always throw some veggies on my plate too.


I should be receiving my other two books soon. One is The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith, the other is Frugal Luxuries by Tracey McBride. I have had many recommendations for both, and am eager to get them. I am still looking through books, but Id eventually like to buy some on herbs and gardening. I have also stumbled upon a website that sells herbs, oils, butters, etc. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com sells only organic or sustainable wild-harvested goods, and all I hear is rave reviews about them, so you can imagine my excitement! Anyway, Ill update as I get more into my books or make an order. I love sharing my finds with everyone!

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend. Remember to live every day to the fullest. And don't forget to send your thoughts or prayers to those (both human and animal) in Haiti dealing with the aftermath of a tragic earthquake. If you would like to make a donation to the Red Cross, you can visit their site or text "Haiti" to 90999 and it will charge $10 to your phone bill. You can also donate via Yele, or the ASPCA. Millions have already been raised! If you can afford it, please help. Karma will always come back in full!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog title!! As a fellow lover of books I admire your philosophy and strategy for self~growth and change...you put it so well! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    Warmly,
    Tracey

    P.S. I hope you enjoy reading "Frugal Luxuries" as much as I enjoyed writing it! I am off now, to learn more about one of the other books you mention, "The Vegetarian Myth"!! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jungle is great but shocking. All those muckraker novels are such a wake-up call to how awful the conditions were and how far things have come. We are so blessed nowadays! I hope you enjoy reading it; I read about 3/4 of it in one night...couldn't put it down.

    My prayers are with Haiti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey - Thank you! I enjoy reading and writing so much, so I decided to blog as an outlet. I often feel self-doubt about my writing or ideas (I get a lot of disinterested eyerolls when I talk to friends/family lol), so its so wonderful to get positive feedback (especially from a published author!). I am very excited about your book, I have heard so many wonderful things! Im sure Ill be blogging about it soon :)

    Ella - I have heard it is very shocking, which makes me even more excited to read it! I think we could all use a wake-up call these days, too many people do not appreciate how great their lives are! :)Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!